Monday, June 27, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

Finally! We had spaghetti!
Haven't found any spaghetti sauce here, so tonight I got my act together and tried to make some...
I didn't really have a recipe that I could follow perfectly, so we made it up as we went!
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 onion,  chopped fine
1 cup of ground beef
12 tomatoes, diced
1 cup tomato paste
1 T. sugar
1/4 cup basil (fresh), chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Start with some olive oil, brown the meat.  Throw in the diced onion and garlic cloves (that are pressed)! When they are all cooked through, add in the 12 tomatoes (dice them first!) and the salt and pepper.  While this is cooking, chop and add the basil.  I added the paste at the end...to see how much was needed to thicken.  Last, I added the sugar.  My mom said that I should add this, but I'm not sure that it needed.  I think that my tomatoes were sweet.  
That's it!  If you are a veggie person, add sauteed mushrooms, zucchini, squash, even grated carrots.  
We would usually mix some butter and pressed garlic together to spread on some bread, but didn't get that far tonight!  Better for the thighs.
Oh, and I'm open for any suggestions.  This was good and worked well for anyone wanting "fresh", but I'm sure there are other tricks to great sauce out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment